The Vitamix Explorian blender is small but mighty. It still packs a motor with 2 horsepower as well as stainless-steel blades to chop through the toughest ingredients. It's smaller than other Vitamix blenders, which may not be the best for large families, but otherwise, it's an impressive kitchen appliance.
Is a Vitamix Explorian blender right for you?
The Vitamix Explorian series is designed for people who want an easier time in the kitchen. It comes with a self-cleaning function to make clean-up simple. And the pulse feature you find on these blenders allow you to get the exact consistency you want. From thick vegetable soups to chunky salsas, this blender is equipped to do all that and more.
One drawback some people have is with the container. It's 48 ounces, which is smaller than the 64-ounce container you usually find with Vitamix blenders. Something like the Vitamix 5200 may be preferable for people in larger families who require bigger portions. Another problem some people have with smaller containers is that there's a larger likelihood of spillage. You just need to make sure you put in the right mixture of ingredients to avoid overflow.
But for a basic blender that comes with standard features most people need nowadays, it meets the mark. And that's especially true when you see what else it comes with.
Consider Vitamix Explorian if...
- You need a blender that lasts and is backed by a stellar 5-year full warranty.
- You want self-cleaning capabilities to save you some hassle after dinner.
- You like a speed dial to control every facet of your meal preparation.
Avoid Vitamix Explorian if...
- You don't need a bunch of different settings, such as a pulse feature.
- You need to make larger batches because you have multiple people to cook for.
- You need a blender with a more powerful motor to blend more evenly.
Vitamix Explorian pros & cons
- Pulse feature for making smooth purées
- High-performance motor with 2 horsepower
- Smaller container than other blenders
Construction and design
- Blending power: The Vitamix Explorian comes with an electrical rating of 120 Volts. But it also features a cooling fan to prevent overheating.
- Durability: Vitamix blenders are built to last. Plus, they're backed by 5-year warranties in case anything happens in relation to labor, parts, or performance.
- Noise level: As is the case with most blenders, the Vitamix Explorian gets loud at higher settings. But it's perfectly manageable. If you're really looking for a quiet blender, try the Vitamix E310, which is often 20 decibels softer than competing models.
- Size: The Vitamix Explorian measures 11 in. x 8 in. x 18 in. And with a 48-ounce container, it's smaller than many other blenders on the market.
What can I make with Vitamix Explorian?
Reasons to buy Vitamix Explorian?
- You don't have a lot of counter space. The Vitamix Explorian is smaller than other blenders with the base measuring 11 in. x 8 in. It's ideal for people living in apartments.
- You want a blender designed to not break down. The high-performance motor is equipped with thermal protections to avoid overheating.
- You want an easy clean-up. In less than a minute, your Vitamix Explorian is ready to go again thanks to self-cleaning capabilities. This allows you to use your blender multiple times with different recipes in the same hour.
Reasons to avoid Vitamix Explorian?
- You need to constantly feed a lot of people. The 48-ounce container is great for small to medium batches. If you have a big family, then you may need something bigger. 64-ounce and 72-ounce containers are available with other Vitamix models such as the 5300.
- You don't need the fanciest features. The pulse setting is nice. But you may not need it if you typically just want juices and smoothies.
What real Vitamix Explorian reviews say
We spent 18 hours scouring the web (reading over 253 customer reviews). Our conclusion? Vitamix Explorian receives high praise! Our average consolidated user rating sits around a 4.6 - 4.74 (across several hundred reviews). Vitamix Explorian scored higher, on average, compared to their closest competitors.
What reviewers like
- "I pureed soup to a velvety texture in 30 seconds."
- It's SO easy to clean. I don't have a dishwasher, so this was important to me."
- "Everything blends into awesome goodness. I’ve been missing out. And on a practical note, the 48 ounce is perfect for one or two people and easy to adapt recipes as they seem primarily written for 64 ounce."
- "We purchased this Vitamix to replace an inferior Black & Decker blender we got as a wedding shower gift. There are no limitations to what this blender can do."
- "If you love making smoothies, you will look forward to using every day. If you don't love making smoothies, you will start loving it."
What reviewers dislike
- "If you are looking for a blender that can make small servings for only yourself or for you and a friend then look no further, but it's not for large families."
- "The only negative thing to say is, I would like if they had a better pour spout to prevent drips."
- "Yes, it's a little loud when you crank it up to 10, but I think that's to be expected with a powerful motor."
- "The bottom line is that this blender is outrageously expensive, but if you are going to use your blender a lot, having a super powerful blender is probably a really good idea and this is just how much they cost."
- "Wish the warranty was longer, and that it came with the larger cookbook, but that's okay."
The pulse and variable speed settings create fantastic textures. With 10 variable speeds available, you can keep things chunky or really smooth things out. And the laser-cut, stainless-steel blades chop down tough ingredients, like seeds, and nuts, you may not be able to put in older blenders.
The 48-ounce container is smaller than average. And the interface isn't as high-tech as what you find in Vitamix's Ascent series. But if you want something that doesn't break the bank while still offering great results, the Explorian is a superb choice.
Where to buy Vitamix Explorian
I've scoured the web, and the best price for the Vitamix Explorian can be found on Amazon. It's a great value compared to larger varieties that come with the same features. Plus, you also get a mini-tamper and cookbook with your purchase!