The Vitamix 5200 is a versatile blender marketed for use at home or in professional kitchens due to its variable speed control, 3" airplane-grade steel blades, and built-in friction heating for savory recipes. A 64-ounce container size, compared to the 48-ounce offered by the E310 makes cooking in large batches easy, and Vitamix's 7-year warranty protects your investment for the long run.
Is a Vitamix 5200 blender right for you?
The Vitamix 5200 works at various speeds—adjustable at any point during the blend—allowing you to achieve consistent and precise textures for both hot and cold ingredients. As such, Vitamix 5200 is ideal for professional kitchens, smoothie gurus, or if you often find yourself blending medium-to-large batches at a time.
Consider Vitamix 5200 if...
- You need a blender that's equipped to make large batches. The Vitamix 5200 comes with a 64oz jar—ideal for large family households and even restaurants!
- You want variable speed control that allows you to shift mid-blend. (This is great if you use your blender regularly for soups, cooking, or drinks!)
- You like the look and feel of a classic blender with premium, high-tech upgrades, like self-cleaning mode and a built-in thermal protection system.
Avoid Vitamix 5200 if...
- You don't need a blender that's too complex or you just want something a little simpler.
- You don't like too much noise during the blending process or are worried about disturbing the apartments next door. (Though the noise isn't as much of a problem in the medium settings, which is the setting recommended for most tasks!)
Vitamix 5200 pros & cons
- Self cleaning on high speed with a blend of soap and water
- Comes with specially-designed tamper for no-stop blending, a component not available even with the Vitamix 750 Professional
- Vitamix 5200's friction speed heating on the highest setting is excellent for soups, salsas, and dips
- 6-foot cord makes it ideal for use in large kitchens or those with fewer electrical outlets
- 64-ounce container could be too big for those not cooking in large batches
Construction and design
- Blending power: Vitamix 5200 draws in the power of 1380 watts (11.5 amps). The electrical ratings are 120 volts, 50/60 hertz. That's a lot of blending power! And the hardened stainless steel blades and metal drive system provide precision adjustment control, allowing you to get your desired blend consistency from start to finish.
- Durability: The Vitamix 5200 is designed with Vitamix-standard 3" airline-grade steel blades and a cool motor that keeps your blender from overheating.
- Noise level: Like all blenders, the noise of the Vitamix 5200 is proportionate to your current ingredients and blend speed. While high can be loud depending on what you're pulverizing, the medium acceleration is adequate for most tasks. It creates a noise level that's about what you'd expect from a blender.
- Size: The Vitamix 5200 is 10.56 pounds, 8.75 x 7.25 x 20.50 inches. This is on the lighter side compared to the Explorian E310, which is a smaller container but larger in dimension, weighting a little over 11-pounds.
- The Vitamix 5200 comes as just the blender, the blender with the travel cup (which you can easily use for meal prepping or on-the-go!) or blender with the cup and with the scraper, making it easy to scrape out those last little bits to enjoy every ounce of your creation.
What can I make with Vitamix 5200?
- Soups (yes, a blender can actually do that!)
- Cold desserts (Milkshakes!)
- Face masks or other cosmetic creams
Reasons to buy Vitamix 5200?
- You use your blender for hot and cold, sweet and savory. The versatility and ease of use of Vitamix 5200 through variable speed control and high-setting heating makes it easy to switch between different food types and preparation.
- You live a busy life. If you're a blender fanatic constantly on the go, you need this blender. The time you'll save with the 30-60 second self-cleaning feature and the portioned jar cup actually gives you time to sit and enjoy the things you make with your Vitamix 5200.
- You have a smaller space. If you live in an apartment or just don't have that much storage space, this is the right choice for you. Unlike the E310, 750, or the A2500, Vitamix 5200 is cabinet-friendly. All the parts fit into each other nicely, allowing for neat and reasonable storage!
Reasons to avoid Vitamix 5200?
- You just want to make smoothies. While you'll make excellent smoothies with a Vitamix 5200, this machine can do so much more and could be overwhelming. If this sounds like you, Vitamix 5200 isn't your appliance.
- You need smaller portions. Of course, you can use your Vitamix 5200 for single-servings and smaller amounts. But if you're looking to make smoothies, milkshakes, or face-masks for one, a smaller jar and blender of lesser power could suffice.
What real Vitamix reviews say
We spent 18 hours scouring the web (reading over 253 customer reviews). Our conclusion? Vitamix 5200 receives high praise! Our average consolidated user rating sits around a 4.6 - 4.74 (across several hundred reviews). Vitamix 5200 scored higher, on average, compared to their closest competitors
What reviewers like
- "If it weren't for the Vitamix I don't know how we would've fed our child and made sure he got the protein, fresh fruits and vegetables etc. that his little growing mind and body need."
- "With this Vitamix I do not even have to cut things up much at all. I will maybe break a carrot in half but I can just toss in a chunk of ginger, add any other fruit and vegetables including a hunk of lime with the skin on and ramp this blender up."
- "As far as it's functionality, it has an incredibly powerful motor that crushes ice instantly. It is not nearly as loud as I thought it would be, which was a very pleasant surprise."
- "I need more than a 5 Star option here!!! Just made my first smoothie and realized the ones I made before now were a joke compared to this, everything (including spinach) blended so perfectly, it is like sipping on tasty liquid velvet."
- "Just ordered a 3rd Vitamix 5200. I have had two since 2001. They each lasted about 8 years with heavy use. I use them in a small Espresso bar and I figure they each blended 25,000 to 40,000 drinks each before dying."
What reviewers dislike
- "The only thing I don't like about the Vitamix is that when it's on High setting, it starts to heat the food very quickly."
- "It is so loud that it is actually scary."
- "You need to know, though, that once you get this blender up to speed, it's going to sound like a jet is taking off in your kitchen."
- "As for a few things, it's quiet up until you get it higher in speed, then it's pretty loud. It's easy to clean but ingredients get jammed up under the blades."
- "Purchased this item in February 2019 and it quit working in June 2019. I absolutely loved this blender and used it every other day. I have contacted Vitamix to see if there is any sort of warranty on it."
The Vitamix 5200 is a top of the line product that can be used for all your kitchen needs. Whether you're a professional chef or a smoothie newcomer, this model makes it easy to cook anything with variable speed control and quality steel blades that make for a consistent, even blend every time. It's incredibly powerful, strong enough to even pulverize the smallest seeds! Plus, Vitamix's 7-year warranty protects your investment for the long run. However, it's not as quiet as the 780 or the A3500. If a higher blend setting is a must-use for you, the 5200 can get pretty loud. Additionally, if you don't need the large capacity of the 64oz. container, you're better off opting for the E310 which is ideal for smaller portions.
Where to buy Vitamix 5200
The Vitamix 5200 is always in stock on Amazon. You can choose to upgrade your order by adding a bundle. Want a blender plus a cup? Or a blender and the scraper? Amazon has the best prices for both individual and Vitamix 5200 bundles with the extra fixtures.