The Vitamix 5000 has been around for decades. With a 2-peak horsepower motor and top speeds of 240 miles per hour, it's still an excellent piece of engineering. They're hard to come by considering it's older, but it has similar capabilities to many new blenders you find in stores today.
Is a Vitamix 5000 blender right for you?
The Vitamix 5000 is a superb, commercial-grade blender that's been a fixture of numerous people's kitchens for over 20 years. Power is the name of the game with any blender, and the 5000 comes in strong with a 2-peak horsepower motor and a high-efficient radial cooling fan to prevent that motor from overheating.
It comes with a large, 64-ounce container for making meals for the whole family. It's made out of BPA-free plastic. But you can swap it out for a 32-ounce container that's preferable for doughs.
Since it's a little older, it doesn't come with all the bells and whistles you find with more modern blenders, like the A3500. There's no pulse feature to really get the consistency you want. But if you want a tried-and-true blender that doesn't quit on you, then the Vitamix 5000 is the way to go.
Consider Vitamix 5000 if...
- You need a blender with a sizable, 64-ounce container for making large portions.
- You want heavy-duty ABS plastic construction in the container to know it's not going to break any time soon.
- You like a wide range of capabilities. And with the Vitamix 5000, the blades can spin from between 11 and 240 miles per hour!
Avoid Vitamix 5000 if...
- You don't need a lot of variation. Some people just want a blender to make smoothies and juices, and that's perfectly fine! With so many features, a Vitamix 5000 may be too complex for some people.
- You don't have a ton of storage space. The Vitamix 5000 comes with multiple components and accessories. If you have limited space, this model might not be the best choice for you.
- You don't like having large portions. The Vitamix 5000 comes with two containers: 32-oz and 64-oz. If you need something smaller, then you may want to look elsewhere.
Vitamix 5000 pros & cons
- Comes with 2 BPA-free containers with lids
- Features a patented tamper to help prepare certain foods
- Includes spill-proof lids to avoid messes when you need to add something to a mixture while it's in progress
- Comes with a thermal protection system to prevent overheating
- Utilizes a low-friction, ball-bearing motor designed to last for years
- Difficult to find in stock
Construction and design
- Blending power: Vitamix 5000 offers 120 volt, 60 hz, 11.5 amps. Combined with stainless-steel blades, this blender is capable of tackling the toughest jobs whether you need to blend nuts, seeds, or other hard substances.
- Durability: Vitamix 5000 is made with pride in the United States. The container is made out of resilient ABS plastic. Plus, it comes with a thermal protection system, which prevents the motor from getting too hot and breaking down prematurely.
- Noise level: Vitamix 5000 gets a little noisier on the higher settings. But that's pretty much the case with any blender. For most things you make in a blender, such as smoothies and juices, you can get by with the medium settings.
- Size: Vitamix 5000 measures 20.5-in. x 8.75-in. x 7.25-in. The base is small and compact enough to fit on most kitchen countertops, even if you live in an apartment.
- Extra feature: Along with your blender, your purchase also gets you a cookbook. Use the "Whole Grain Cookbook" to find a plethora of new recipes perfect for experienced and new chefs alike.
What can I make with Vitamix 5000?
Reasons to buy Vitamix 5000?
- You want multiple appliances in one. This blender performs the same functions as a juicer, food processor, and smoothie maker all in one device.
- You make a lot of food. The 64-ounce container is great when you need a lot of sauce of salsa for a big family meal. It's also great for potlucks. Since it's made out of BPA-free plastic, you can rest easy knowing nothing in the plastic is seeping into the food.
- You want to avoid burnout. A blender's motor does a lot of work. With a thermal protection system and radial cooling fan, the motor stays cool. You can run it on "High" without worry.
- Reasons to avoid Vitamix 5000?
- You don't need a lot of food. A 64-oz container is a lot if you live by yourself. Even the 32-ounce container is a little big in some cases. Vitamix blenders with 20-ounce containers are also available if that's more what you need.
- You want a newer aesthetic. The Vitamix 5000 was a real feat of engineering when it first came out in the '90s. The use of BPA-free plastic is still a big deal to this day. But if you want the latest, greatest gadgets, it may be a bit outdated.
What real Vitamix 5000 reviews say
We spent 18 hours scouring the web (reading over 253 customer reviews). Our conclusion? Vitamix 5000 receives high praise! Our average consolidated user rating sits around a 4.6 - 4.74 (across several hundred reviews). Vitamix 5000 scored higher, on average, compared to their closest competitors.
What reviewers like
- "I can use this for grinding grains, any type of shakes. The variable speed motor increases its versatility."
- "I have had other appliances come and go, but the Vita-Mix is the only one that consistently stays on the counter for daily use."
- "This is worth every penny I paid for it because of its performance and very easy and quick cleanup."
- "I have used it to grind coffee, make cheddar onion steak burgers, and have fallen in love with healthy, [antioxidant] fruit and veggie smoothies. The children absolutely love the fresh fruit yogurt treats that I have made with the Vitamix too!"
- "A great machine and made in the USA - need I say more?"
What reviewers dislike
- "It's a pricey piece of [equipment] but from all the reviews on QVC and the Internet the machine is extremely durable and will last for many years to come."
- "Yes - a bit pricey, Yes a bit of a learning curve, but what a great system!"
- "I don't cook or bake so it was really kind of pointless. I've had it now a couple of weeks, I have used it twice. I don't think it is really a smart investment for me."
- "It did work as claimed but just not worth the price for what I need it for."
- "This is a great machine but extremely overpriced."
The sheer power of the Vitamix 5000 is enough to impress anyone. You can make everything from ice cream to hot soup (due to the heat from the motor). And the stainless-steel wet blades are capable of crushing ice and processing whole foods. The spill-proof lid ensures you have minimal clean-up afterward.
It's a great blender for people who need to make large batches for families and friends. However, the outdated frontal panel dates the blender significantly. It may not gel well with your kitchen, particularly if you have a very modern aesthetic. But if all you need is a high-quality blender built to last, then this is the one to get.
Where to buy Vitamix 5000
Because the Vitamix 5000 is an older model, it can be a little difficult to track down. Fortunately, you can find this model as well as other Vitamix blenders such as the 5200 and Explorian for the best prices on Amazon. Plus, if you're a Prime member, you get to enjoy free, fast shipping!